Monday, February 20, 2012

True Blood, Shmoo Blood.

POSTSCRIPT to my last entry:

For the record, I believe vampires are the hackneyed imaginings of novelists and screenwriters.  Be that as it may, students (most of whom resemble vampires) still choose to attend my lectures.

I’m a novice in the area of biology; however, I find it inconceivable that an organic creature (alleged vampires may be inhabited by a mystical entity, but the bodies they inhabit are organic human remains) can accelerate the growth of its teeth at such a rate as to replicate the speed that’s portrayed in the mouths of “vamps” who release their fangs in movies and television.  Those vampires, Bill and Eric, in TRUE BLOOD have the fastest retractable fangs I’ve ever seen on screen, and furthermore, I cannot fathom why or how they can run so quickly – when they run like that they remind of me of Wile E. Coyote.  


I don’t know what Sookie Stackhouse sees in them.  The human tooth is made up of highly condensed tissues that surpass the durability of bone, which is why dental records are so often used to identify the dead.  Teeth last, much longer than bone.  Teeth are much harder than bone, and much less likely to be malleable, no matter how supernatural the force is that tries to manipulate their molecules.

I’m open to the idea of the existence of such a creature, perhaps one outside of what Hollywood’s depiction of it is – I just haven’t come cross any evidence of one yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment