Sunday, February 19, 2012

For Vampires, Fashion is Undead Too.

I’m not sure whether the latest vampire craze has anything to do with my students’ interest in “ghosts.”  They certainly can’t get enough of stuff like the Twilight series, The Vampire Diaries,  and True Blood, I would argue that vampires fall into the category of “ghosts” as opposed to the category of “cryptids,” even though they are portrayed as being physically in our world, they are technically dead – the physical body is controlled by an ethereal force, a force outside, or beyond, our spiritual world.

This popular “gothic,” or simply “goth” as the kids like to call it, sensibility has driven up the numbers of students registering for my fall class.  Whatever it’s called, I’m a fan of this sensibility, as it’s currently keeping me employed at my university.  I have noticed that along with the rise of student numbers has come the rise of piercings, tattoos and black leather exhibited on their persons.  I have no opinion on their personal disfigurements or lapses in fashion sense, that is their business and their business alone.

The more extroverted kids have taken to actually wearing “fangs;” in fact, you can get your own pair of dental-fit fangs right here if you’re so inclined:


As for me, my business is the business of ghosts, and other paranormal phenomenon, et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment